God's Plans vs. Our Plans
- A crisis of faith and God's reassuring promise (7:1-9)
- Israel/Syria wants to replace Judah's King Ahaz. God says it won't happen.
- God commands Ahaz to ask for a sign. Ahaz says no.
- A fun thought: if God gave you an incredible promise and told you to ask for a sign, what would you request as a sign?
- A miraculous conception (7:14a)
- pregnant virgin, referenced in Matthew 1
- A comforting name (7:14b)
- Immanuel - God with us. The miracle of the incarnation.
- A promise of deliverance, both now and in the future (7:15-16, 8:5-10)
- the threatening countries would be deserted when the Child is born
- Ahaz's hired army of Assyria would devastate Judah
- Can we fathom God's plans and God's ways?
- maybe my short-sighted plan is good enough => BAD IDEA
Post a Comment